Chain Lubing and Cleaning overview
Velocity is a "maintenance" system... Best cleaning results are achieved when used routinely after a ride when the chain is warm, or after throughly cleaning a very neglected chain or when starting maintenance on a new chain. In any case, when used regularly, the system works to prevent the accumulation of crud that you see in the images below... (For more details on chain design, etc, go to the Chain Links page here)
A closer Look...
Note: These images show the results of using Velocity and Velocity Chain Brush to clean a neglected chain that has not been serviced for approximately 400 miles and the chain is Cold... Best results are achieved on a warm chain as after a ride...
(For a full view, click on the images to enlarge and click on the text to minimize the image...)
Simple Chain Cleaning... Injected or sprayed, solvent or other cleaning agents, loosen and rinse away grit, and flushes the gaps of the chain. The enclosed design of Velocity, gives you a splatter free environment that directs the flow of solvent over the surfaces of the chain, and it predictably controls out-flow of material, so that it can be easily collected...
The supplied syringe can draw-up 60 ml of kerosene (The recommended cleaning agent by every chain manufacturer) or other cleaning agent. Solvent is injected or sprayed while the chain is pulled-through Velocity to coat it. After a "soaking-period" to loosen the grip of the buildup, wipe with a shop-rag (and brush as needed) and rinse again to flush and drain away any remaining crud if needed. Material out-flow is collected for reuse or recycling... Wipe off excess (if any) from the chain and sprocket with a clean shop-rag and you are done. [For more information on the cleaning process click here.]
Routine use of Velocity will simplify the cleaning process by making quick work of removing accumulated build-up before it becomes a bigger chore...
- A very neglected chain or muddy chain will require pre-treatment using a brush... Velocity is designed as a 'maintenance' system to be used routinely to prevent the buildup of damaging and power-robbing road-grit... Not as a "power-washer". The Velocity Chain Brush assists in hands-free wiping, during cleaning and lubing combined with Velocity, or it can be freely used as a brush to loosen stubborn material or other uses. For detailed application notes, see our "Tips and Tricks" page.
Simple Cleanup... Gets you on the road quick!... The clean, enclosed design of the system makes cleanup easy... Drips and outflow are predictably contained and controlled for collection reuse or recycling, and the system breaks-down quickly for storage. A simple wipe with a shop-rag to remove any excess material on the chain and sprocket (if any) and you are done!
routine chain-Care is important...
Increased friction from the lack of lubrication, reduces power delivery and accelerates the wear-life of your drive components. A neglected chain reduces performance and lowers gas-mileage and pedaling mileage... The more slippery and flexible your chain, the happier your motor or your legs will be, and you will always get the maximum performance and mileage from your ride that you expect...
It's important to reduce the damaging effects of friction-based, heat buildup and abrasion that is created when the layer of road grime forms on the chain and the contact surfaces lubrication dissipates, as you ride. Metal-on-metal abrasion and a gritty layer of abrasive road-grit grinding on the metal surfaces, creates heat and wear.
The build-up of road-grit also works like a sponge, wicking away lubricant from those areas that need it the most and creates an insulating blanket that retains heat in the chain, causing link components to expand. Friction increases as the slick and cooling lubricant dissipates or is absorbed, and heat related component expansion from metal-to-metal contact, blanket-effect and grit abrasion causes your chain to become less flexible and slippery.
This "viscous-circle of friction" accelerates the wear on both your chain and your drive sprockets. You lose efficiency and end-up spending more money on gas, pre-mature chain and sprocket replacement, and also for the cyclist, leg fatigue sets-in sooner. This is why regular and routine cleaning and lubrication is so important...
The Velocity Chain Care System...
- Velocity is Efficient... The unique features of the tool contain, control and guide lubricant and solvent flow over the chain components and into the gaps where seals are bathed in lubricant or cleaner, maximizing distribution and reducing waste... When Velocity is used routinely for cleaning, moderate buildup of crud is easily managed with minimal preparation and cleanup.
- How Velocity works... The system is not permanently installed on your bike and is designed for quick and easy mounting/assembly and unmounting/disassembly. When the tool is mounted on the chain and held-in-place with the restraining leash securely wrapped around any available solid point or frame part of your bike, it is now locked in the optimal position just in front of your rear sprocket. Your hands are now free to operate the syringe, bottle or spray-can and rotate the rear wheel or crank... Once the supplied syringe or optional squeeze bottle is twist-locked onto the tubing and the tube is inserted in the top hole of the tool or the spray-can nozzle adapter tube is inserted, lubricants, cleaners and sprays are injected into the main chamber as your chain passes through the tool...
- Simple Chain Lubrication... The delivery tubing is press-fit into the lid and the syringe attached. Using inexpensive bulk 85W-140 Axle Oil GL-5 you can inject the perfect amount of lube while the internal features control and direct the stream of lubricant and cleaning solvent entering the body chamber, insuring flow to the essential parts of the chainlink... the rollers, seal gaps, plates, inside and out. The supplied spray-can nozzle tube adapter allows you to apply your choice of spray lubricants...With Velocity you can drench your chain with lubricant with minimal to no waste when applied conservatively... no worry about splatter and over-spray.
- Portability... The system is portable and packs small and the optional 2 ounce squeeze bottle that locks-on just like the syringe, hold more than enough oil for several days of on the road lubrication and it has a locking cap to prevent leakage. Prior to re-lubing, the included spray-can nozzle tube adapter allows for easy on the road cleaning... If you are on a long tour, just stop and rinse the chain using any spray cleaner that will not degrade the rubber seals of your chain. For any other 'rubber-safe' solvent application, use the syringe to rinse the chain.
- Flexible, and Easy to Use... You decide how you want to use the system, we provide enough tubing, connectors and adapters, for you to assemble a custom fit and configuration for use on your machine. Every aspect of the system was conceived with you in mind to be simply effective, clean and hassle free.
** The ChainLuberSystems Store sells an optional squeeze bottle, extra syringes and caps so you can carry as much as you like. (Tip:) In a pinch the squeeze bottle can be used to start a siphon, rather than sucking on it yourself and drinking gas or other unpleasant liquids.
Get more Lube And Cleaner Onto The Chain
Eliminate Splatter and Over-Spray On Your Wheel And Tire
Minimize Prep And Cleanup
Velocity Chain Care System
Maintain Your Chain!
Make Chain-Care a Quick and Easy Process!
No More Spending Big $$$ On Expensive Lubes And Cleaners!
Maximize Performance! - Maximum Mileage! - Maximize Pedal Power!